Thursday, January 6, 2011

The First Of Many Posts (Character Study: Rapunzel)

So I was reading Airplane's blog and his rants about Tangled. After seeing the movie twice myself, I figured, "Hey, why not!" So here I am. So, for those of you who haven't seen Tangled, please do. Because... my background is indeed a spoiler pic. I should change that soon. But not yet, because I like it. Anyway... back on topic, the Characters!

Yes, Rapunzel... I like ducklings too. Anyhoo... The characters. That's right. I'm starting with the main girl of our story, Rapunzel...

Rapunzel:
Rapunzel is your typical damsel in distress right? EHHHH WRONG. She is trapped in a tower, yes. But does that mean she's waiting for her "prince" to come? No! She's very independent for her age, and frankly, she knows her way around a cast iron frying pan, let me tell you that now. She isn't afraid to get DOWN AND DIRTY. As you can see by her, trying to get Flynn into the closet. She ain't afraid of nothing...
Okay, she could be (see following picture.)

 She certainly ain't afraid of the smolder. Sigh...

Rapunzel is a bit gullible at the beginning of the movie. But trust me, 18 years in a tower with a fake mother who makes comments like "I see a beautiful young lady... oh look you're here too, ahaha", you can see WHY she's so freaking gullible. It isn't her choice that she's never seen the outside world. It's her Gothel's fault.
In Gothel's case, she acted quite motherly in the beginning. You'd think she cared. But it was for Rapunzel's 70ft of magic hair. Her own "fountain of youth" call it as you will. But when someone has enough hair to do that (see left), you need to get out more. Not that she CAN considering that Gothel is a selfish old hag who only wants to stay young forever and ever. In Rapunzel's case, she grew up singing to make Gothel young, so of course she never thought of saying no for once. That is until Gothel stabs Flynn and she realizes, "Gothel's not my mother, and I have to get away from her or I will get myself killed" if that's a reason to hide in your own hair. Then do it because frankly, I would too. Gothel scares me.

As the movie goes on, Rapunzel realizes that the world is a bad place. Gothel exaggerated the world. Yes, I agree there are people like that. But how can you go wrong with Flynn as a guide?
That's just it... you CAN'T. I mean sure, he's self serving, arrogant, boastful. But under all that Flynn shell you have Eugene. Oh Eugene. By the end of their adventure together, it's a wonder how a guy like him had such a change of heart. And then you realize, oh... Disney movie. Right. But that doesn't matter!!!
Rapunzel falls for him because he falls for her. In the romantic Gondala scene, the look on her face during her realization that Eugene is her new dream is amazing. She tests her realization when she tries to give his satchel back and he pushes it away. Then the Stabbigton Brothers ruin the moment all together.

And remember how I mentioned the fact that she knew her way around a frying pan? Well... she also knows how to do the hair thing. Sure, 18 years in a tower can get you a little bored sometimes, but it all comes in handy in the long run...


I stand corrected...


By the end of it all, you can tell that Rapunzel is truly mad for Eugene. I mean she LEADS the kiss. She doesn't just kiss him (and this girl knows the drill, believe me!) She LEADS! She laughs, then BOOM, lip lock, fireworks in the soul, happy ever after.
As you can see here, it is RAPUNZEL who swings Eugene down for the kiss.

I admit the girls got some guts in her.

Also notice how he puts the crown back.

Mmm Mmm Mmm. Another Rapunzel led kiss. See? Guts. Lots of em.





Oh and before I go, don't forget...
BEST DAY EVER!!!!

Next Blog: Character Study; Flynn Rider (AKA Eugene)

No comments:

Post a Comment